And so ends the last day of our planned Trading Spaces-style kitchen makeover. Our goal was to make over our kitchen and have it 'baby-ready" in just three days (with much appreciated help from Jeannie's parents!).
Did we make it? Here's the before and after based on what we were able to get done in three days...
Not bad, if we can say so ourselves, especially if you can look back at what it looked like back before we even moved in...
From the start, we said this was a Trading Spaces-style makeover and, in that spirit, the most quick-fix solution we came up with was on the wall near the rear exterior door. For some reason, the former owners (or someone) decided to rough-in an exterior vent and fan...and then finish it off with just wallpaper.
Since this never got much past the roughed-in stage, we needed some quick and easy way to fix it up without doing the full-out job we expect to do at some point in the future. And we still occasionally need to use that fan. Our solution? We ended up simply covering the fan with a hand woven bed sheet stretched across an old 3'x5' painting canvas that we'd been storing in the garage for the past two years. You can see the finished effect in the first photo at the top of this entry. This way, we can take the canvas down when we need to use the fan and replace it when we need to hide the fan.
Beyond that cover-up, the rest of the makeover was equally superficial...new paint, new cabinet hardware, and a new storage solution next to the refridgerator.
Alas, there were three things we didn't get done in the three days...
First, a replacement for the old ceiling fan. We really like the comment 'savvy saver' left on our entry Saturday about dropping the new fan down a bit from the ceiling. Probably an easy project for next weekend.
Second, we intended to put in a new temporary working counter that would sit over and enclose the radiator. Unfortunately, the one we really want is out of stock at Ikea so it looks like we'll be doing without for a month or so.
Third, and more complicated, is the floor. We didn't have the time to attempt anything dramatic, but we're wondering what the best temporary solution would be. It's in pretty bad shape. More on that later...